I am currently a second-year PhD student and GRFP fellow at UC Berkeley; my research focuses on language documentation with an emphasis on syntax. My background is a mix of linguistics and design.
- Endangered Languages: Why does linguistic diversity matter? Spring 2021 (via Zoom), Primary Instructor. syllabus
- Introduction to Linguistic Science Fall 2020 (via Zoom), Graduate Student Instructor of Sections 103, 111, 112
- Intro to Linguistics via Conlanging March 8, 2020 @ Splash! at Berkeley handout slides
- Research Assistant to Prof. Chris Collins, Training Students for Fieldwork on the Khoisan Languages, NSF Grant #1760980 June 2018 — 2022
- Postbaccalaureate Research Assistant to Prof. Maria Polinsky at the University of Maryland, College Park August 2018 — May 2019
- Research Assistant to Prof. Zvjezdana Vrzic, Documentation of the Vlashki/Zheyanski Language, NSF Grant #1160696 October 2015 — October 2018
- Independent Researcher (Gurung; Sino-Tibetan) January 4 — 24, 2017
Co-led linguistic fieldwork with Danielle Ronkos and Lingzi Zhuang in Sikles, Nepal to document the threatened Sikles dialect of Gurung.
- Volunteer at the Endangered Language Alliance July 2014 — May 2017
Led weekly meetings with a speaker of Sikles Gurung to perform interviews, record oral texts, transcribe, gloss, analyze, translate texts in Fieldworks Language Explorer, and elicit & record syntactic and lexical data.
- Assistant to Prof. Zvjezdana Vrzic at DERSII 2016 July 10 — 15, 2016
Provided technical & logistical assistance at Prof. Vrzic’s 2-week workshop, Documentation and Revitalization of the Istriot Language (Istrioto; Romance), in Rovinj, Croatia. Helped teach Fieldworks Language Explorer, WeSay, and SayMore.
- Research Assistant to Prof. Chris Collins April 2 — May 14, 2016
Assist documenting Sasi & Kua (two moribund Khoisan languages) for 6 weeks.
- ‘Filling in the Gaps’ (Honors Thesis) July 2014 — April 2015
- U.S. Dept. of State’s Critical Language Scholarship for Chinese Summer 2013
- University of California, Berkeley (Ph.D. in progress since 2019) — Linguistics
- New York University (B.A. 2015) — Linguistics, High Honors; Minors: Mandarin Chinese, Global Visual Arts
- 2019 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (GRFP)
- 2015 Phi Beta Kappa; Robert A. Fowkes Prize for High Achievement in Linguistics at NYU; Magna Cum Laude; NYU Dean’s List (all 4 years)
- 2013 Bernard and Dorothy Layton Foundation Scholarship; Liberal Studies Dean’s Circle
- 2011 USCPFA Bellinson Scholarship Award for Excellence in Chinese